I was going out the other morning to feed my chickens and saw Joy (the cat) on the edge of my pool looking in the water. The pool cover is still on and the top is filled with water and she was leaning over into the pool batting at a leaf. I called her name and walked over to the edge of the pool, I reached out and touched her and she reacted by leaping straight up in the air and landing in the middle of the pool, she sprung forward grabbing the edge of the pool cover and hauled herself out and ran across the lawn. My heart was in my throat! I started thinking "What if....the pool cover had ripped and she had slid under the cover, since the ladder is not up, how would I have gotten her? Could I get to something to try and cut the cover off the pool, would I have had the strength to rescue her? Would I have been able to find something to stand on to get into the pool? What if she slid underneath the cover and I couldn't get to her in time, What if I couldn't find something to cut the cover with in time, What if I couldn't find something to stand on to reach or get into the pool, What if I couldn't find something for her to grab on to? What if....What if.. all kinds of thoughts ran through my head and my heart was pounding with all the visions of doom I was having. Later that evening, Jenn and Mark stopped over and I was telling Jenn the story and I said, "What if..." and Mark said, "Now I know where Jenn gets the "what ifs from!" I guess I never realized that it was not just me that thought this way, maybe I inherited this...!!!
MOM.!!
Does everyone else in the family have the "What ifs'?? or is it just me and my daughters...obviously it is a female thing, because none of the male members of my family ever think of the things I do, or maybe they just don't admit it. David said, "You always add more to a situation then there really is." and he is right..I "what if....it to death!! I have many visions of different scenarios and I can play them back in my mind over and over again and they are always the worst that could happen, it is like some horror film. OK I really am not crazy!! but then again,
What if I am??? Love to all...Patti
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's an inherited trait for sure! I not only "what if" it to death I actually can think up whole scenarios and conversations to go with them.Your Dad used to say "What if it never happens and you got all worked up for nothing?" and, of course, it rarely did, but who appreciates a "know-all" answer like that?? Mom.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Gram...I'm pretty sure it's genetic. Katherine & I were talking about it the other day- we are both chronic what-if-ers!!
ReplyDeleteI firmly believe in Murphy's Law - "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." (the ultimate "what if"). I was amazed that Robin actually got to our house last Sunday night. I had envisioned her waking up late, having car trouble, missing her flight, problems with the kids, etc..... I drive the whole family nuts with my worrying !!
ReplyDeleteI must agree with everyone else!!! I'm just glad y'all do it to, I thought I was only one!!! I drive Jeff nuts, with all my "What if's"; & it's 110x worse since Bennett has arrived. I’m thinking "what if's" right now.
ReplyDeleteLove you lots!