Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Very Sad Blog :(

Tonight I covered for a few hours for another EMT and we got a call to a residence that i knew for a elderly man who had a seizure. My heart went in my throat!! On arrival we went in and the first thing I saw was Mrs. M, who looked like she was about to crumble and she whispered my name when she saw me, I quickly gave her a kiss and a quick hug and proceeded into the living room..Mr M. was in and out of it and his daughter was there and I believe it was the older Son also...Mr. M. did not want to go and he was making all kinds of angry sounds...she said sometimes he is not coherent..We wheeled him out of the house and I was carrying the bags and Mrs. M. looked at me and gave me a hug and I gave her a kiss, she looked so frightened. When we were on our way to the hospital, all i kept on thinking about was Dad and all the fun times they had together, all the singing and parties...It was so sad to see this frail man, he can't weigh more than 88 lbs..(the name Porky fitted him no longer).When we got to the hospital, his daughter was waiting as she drove ahead and walked with us in the hospital..When I stood by the side of the stretcher, Mr M. looked at me with some recognition and I said, "Its me Patti" and he said, "whats wrong, what happend" and I explained it to him, then he just kept repeating the same thing. I rubbed his arm and wheeled him into his room, as we were unbuckling the straps, I noticed a tear coming down his face and I reached up and brushed it away and caressed his face. I thought for a moment I was going to break down and cry, all I could think of was Dad...This is so hard to see someone who was such a strong man reduced to a frail and frightened man...my heart was breaking for him. I don't think I like seeing our parents and their friends come to this point in their lives, it is very hard for me... So I came home and proceeded to cry over what i can't control or cant stop from happening... Thanks for letting me share. Love to you all....(I had to change the names, so as not to violate HIPPA laws.)

2 comments:

  1. It really makes you think about the road we are all heading down. When it comes to the end we all hope that there is a kind person to be there with us. Treasure your family & friends.

    ML

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to let everyone know we love them and value our years spent as a family, life has a strange way of catching up with us when we're not looking! MOM

    ReplyDelete