Thursday, January 15, 2009

Soooo Cold Brrrrrr

It is so cold out today, yesterday was cold but not as cold as today. I was getting up for work yesterday and put my shirt on ,then a sweat shirt, then my thinner zip jacket and got my gloves and hat ready, made myself breakfast and it was really hot in the house, of course, it could be because I had so many clothes on! Then I left for work and got half way there and realized I had left my jacket at home!!! Can you imagine!! So today, I repeated the process but I made sure I had my winter coat on before I left!! I went out to feed the chickens today, I had closed up their coop last night because it was so cold..I have one chicken who hates me...a Rhode Island Red...she just can't wait to see me and think of ways to attack me...she is a hateful little thing...but in a way it is pretty comical..I don't know if you have every seen a chicken when they get mad, all the hair on their neck stands straight out!! She lays in wait for me, just waiting for me to open the chicken coop door and she is there!! Lunging at my hand to peck me and if I show any signs of fright, it just pleases her more...so i have devised a way to put their feed inside, I just hold the container of water in front of me and push it in the coop first, so she pecks at that..The rooster will protect me from her if we are outside, but when they are in, all he sees is my hand coming in, with the container first so he is not really sure if he should be alarmed or not. so her and I continue to play this game every morning, seeing who can outwit who...When it is warmer, she just attacks my legs and beats me with her wings. They are pretty strong, but I always have boots on so it all you really feel is the pressure of her wings...When she looks at me you can actually see the dislike on her little face...I always say to the kids, "Look at her, she is saying, "come on, come closer, come in here". I forget how that sounds to the little ones, Emily thinks I can talk to all the animals..She said to me once, "Mema, will you tell Olivia (the cat) that I like her because I don't know how to talk cat." I guess I have to watch what I say, like when the kids are rubbing Mel's belly (the dog) and she is wagging her tail, the kids will always say, "what is she saying Mema?" and I will say, "she is saying, "I just love when those kids come and rub my belly, it feels sooooo good!" and they will laugh...I am going to sound like a crackpot in a few years don't you think..they will wonder why they believed I knew what the animals are thinking!!! They will have me committed!! All the cows are enjoying this weather, they were all playing and running around...The cats and dog are all in the house, not going out much at all, only to do their duty!!! and then right back in... The kids were with me tonight, because Adam had to work on a water main break for the town and I just put on Craigslist and went to Farm and Garden section and John just clicked on all the equipment that had pictures...every five minutes, he was yelling, "Quick Mema, come look, look at this backhoe, look at this tractor, look at the snowblowers!" I told him I needed to do dishes, so he moved the laptop around on the table so that I could see it from the sink, so he could show me all the wonderful and neat equipment he could find!! He spent at least 2 hours at this...it really was cute.. I said to David, "Gee, I hope Adam has enough warm clothes, you know how he gets when he gets cold!" Emily pipped in "Do you mean crabby, Mema?" I said, "No, I mean his hands get numb if they are cold." She said, "Oh, because he is usually crabby!" She said it so matter of factly!! I chuckled under my breath... Emily and I will play games online, we take turns on the different levels, she is very funny...tonight she helped me dry the dishes..she is getting so big.. I do enjoy the kids so much. Jenny and Mark bought a Nintendo Wii and I never had so much fun...We played tennis and Jenny was pretty impressed that I could play so well.. I was really surprised on how much exercise you get playing, because you actually have to move your arms like you are playing, so you build up a sweat pretty easily..and then we played bowling, my arms were killing me!! We decided we are going to have to have a game night, even the younger kids were good at it.. The have skiing and snow boarding games, I always wanted to ski, but I am afraid of the lift...it the fear of heights that i have..so it should be fun, i was told that your leg muscles really hurt after playing the game, because you actually stand on a board and the way you move is how you move on the game, it is really amazing how they do all that....I hope you all are keeping warm and I will write again soon...Love to all

1 comment: